Saturday, June 2, 2007

Colorado blue and Tattoo'd

My trip to Colorado was obviously one I will forever remember! Heh.



I did my best get around Denver on my own via foot and RTD (the local public transpo, affectionately standing for Reason To Drive). I have to take a moment to point out a flaw I just discovered though in the RTD's new light rail service. Apparently they charge based on how far you take it or how many zones you cross. If you want to take it say from Lone Tree (near Parker) to downtown, like my friend Scott does, you will be paying a mighty $135 for a month. Just to sum that up a bit, if want to avoid driving and poluting/congesting to roads the most, you pay the most. Think that's fucked? Here's the website: http://www.rtd-denver.com/FaresAndPasses/index.html

It was great seeing my family again too. Little Baby Vicious is getting cuter and cuter every time I come home. I have already decided to buy Adam a shotgun for when she starts dating. Not like my 6' 4", blackbelt carrying, little brother needs anything to more intimdating though. Anycase, I was able to borrow Mom's PT CRuiser a bit and got to all the favorite haunts. I hit St. Marks on 18th, Paris on the Platt, and generally boogied all over downtown. It cracks me up to see the fancy new ped. bridge the put in where the 17th street viaduct was. Theey are even adding a ped. bridge over I-25 there. They just tore out that whole thing. Sure this one is pretty and fits what they are now going for around there. After all, Paris doesn't have a bookstore anymore, it has a wine shop. Plus the old railroad museum (voted by Westword to best location for a horror film several years running) is now a flagship REI and Starbucks. The old neighborhoods are changing, but it ain't all that bad. A few years in Chicago adjusted some of my sentiment.

Before departing downtown, I stopped at Coors Field to see if they still offered "Rock Pile Tickets." For those unfamiliar, these were tickets that were only available 4hrs before the game and used to be just $2. Inflation being what it is, I was still tickled to hear they were but $4. Not that the Colorado Rockies sell out nowadays, but getting to see a live baseball game in a park like that, the city and mountains being your backdrop, for under five bucks... that is AWSOME! Just a word of caution though to the recently quit smoking types with quicker tempers... the visitor fans have no fear nor respect when your home team has set up shop in last place for years. I bit through a tooth pick entirely when some St. Loius fans got truly belligerent behind me. Guess the look I gave them worked as they stopped being ridiculous and left halfway through the 9th. I am all for moxy and cheering the visitor, but there is etiquiet man! Course, I am most recently from Chicago where a visitor was lone, brave, and QUIET. Heh. It was great to get to the ball park with my Dad and Adam. That was very cool!


After a fun meal with the family on Thur night, I took the Cruiser up to Ft. Collins. My friend Julie has set up an appointment with her friend and tattoo artist Ishmael.
I had a collection of ideas and design elements, mostly just had a raging desire to get inked. Ishmael was great and very easy to talk with. We hashed out a design after a couple goes that I was very excited to get. Inspired in Chicago, I love this piece.
He did a great job with it. I also loved getting tattoo'd in Old Town in the front windows with a couple good friends there. Missed you there though Tink! Did some dancing after with my fresh tattoo saran-wrap bandage to cellebrate Herman's birthday. Emily and I and even caught a late meal at IHOP (aka my study hall in college). Hell, it was even fun doing a 3am run down I-25 again!

Now I am back in LA though. It is so good to see my Urban Pixie. I was even thrilled to get back to our apartment. This is home right now, pained as I am to say that. It has all the stuff though and there is a feeling where your bed is. For as much as I hate the city outside my door, this is a great oasis. Plus, I feel very motivated to spend more time with the great people I know here.

So here I draw this novel to a close. By the by... 4 fucking weeks now without a Camel Light. That includes a trip home, getting tattoo'd, and seeing all the places I learned to smoke in. The run continues!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

A MONTH! You rockstar! Extra kudos for going to all the hard places that are synonymous with smoking and not lighting up. that's the hard part!