Tuesday, May 10, 2011

Dedication


I tend to be an all or nothing kind of guy. Either you were great at something or why bother? There is an obvious flaw to these lines of thinking for sure. As a friend once said with that mindset, "you become very good at very little." I tend to take to some things with exuberance though and am hard pressed to find balance. Take smoking for example. I tried it, I liked it, I did it all the friggin' time! I kid you not, I had an ashtray in my shower for a while.

Now on the quit side, I am running constantly. Yesterday I ran before and after work. It has started to become less about not smoking and more about the connection to days when I run tend to be days I stay more level headed. The Jekyll and Hyde swings are less. So I lace up.

What I wonder is when dedication becomes obsession? Too much of anything can lead to trouble. A different friend is fond of reminding my to listen to my gut or "my still small voice" on questions like that. So far the gut is enjoying the miles.

No comments: