Wednesday, May 25, 2011

Private vs Trasparent

I recently had someone track me down via Facebook. This is not an uncommon occurrence for many. I would rather have this particular person remain in the past though and it again flushes to my attention the dilemma of privacy in the era of social networking.

Those accustomed to following Stupie know I lay a lot of my thoughts and life out there in an editorial sort of way. I have no illusions of being any more important than being just a normal guy that writes a lot. I will never discuss anything more personal than I would in a crowded restaurant as this is PUBLIC.

As for my social media profile, it has been a blessing and curse. I love reconnecting with some friends and staying in touch with others, even if it is just a "poke." I do not however wish to be found by all. The delete button was under finger in a rash desire to cyber disappear. That would be a little rash though. Like I said, it serves some purpose for me that I enjoy.

It might just be that it is a good time to clean it up some. Get rid of fringe acquaintances, monitor my privacy settings and scrutinize my pictures a little closer.

No comments: