Monday, December 23, 2013

Algorithm Fail

I am impressed and slightly unsettled by the sophistication of online advertising. A first I thought the fact that some of my favorite sites had ads on Facebook or wherever was kinda cool, but then it started getting more precise. If I looked at a particular Bears hat, it started appearing every time I logged on to Facebook. While this was amusing, it started to frustrate me a little during this holiday season as I have been doing my Christmas shopping and just surfing for said Bears hat on my own for fun. Yet every time I hopped on Facebook, what I wanted personally kept popping up there as if teasing me to get it.

Then I figure out how to beat the system. I went on the websites that kept teasing me and pulled up a bunch of items I had no interest in. Voila! No more temptation. No thank you Facebook ad, I do not need that KC Chiefs t-shirt!


No comments: