Saturday, November 3, 2012

So Much Being Said

I don't know about you, but I am pretty ready for election day to finally get here. It seems over the last month there has been a barrage of ads, speeches, and flat out chest thumping every where I turn. Even the jazz station I turn to when I need to cool off has been beating the vote drum. I do believe we all should vote and I believe that passionately. What I have been trying hard to keep in mind this year is how to believe passionately while listening to those that may disagree with me. I have tried even further to keep my own views to myself unless actually asked. Over the campaign months, I ca tell you exactly how many people have asked who I am supporting and out of those, the very few that have inquired why. What I have come away from this maelstrom of campaigning with is the clear understanding that more people would rather tell me what to believe than find out why I do believe as I do. A wise man once told me serenity and tolerance can be found when you can hear someone screaming to the heavens in something you don't agree with and not feel the urge to correct them. Hell freedom of speech means everyone gets to say what they wish. Of course there are consequences and responsibilities that come with a right and we all have watched as many have fallen due to them. None the less, it will be nice when things calm down again and the blowhards can stop the noise for a while yet. I love my country and I can't wait to stop hearing how damned we could be if we don't vote for...

No comments: