Tuesday, November 6, 2012

Election Night

The election has just been called and President Barack Obama will serve another term. Personally I am more than pleased than I need to express with the results. Beyond that, with such a close race, I am truly hoping to hear another gratifying result some point soon and that is that there was a record turn out to vote. The only thing that genuinely disgusts me is apathy. I have a close friend that abstained from voting and held well calculated reasons for doing so. Most people, especially here in a swing state, that said they weren't voting were because they didn't care. I understand the idea that it can feel like a single vote doesn't count for much. Hell, the electoral college alone can make a single vote seem pretty insignificant. None the less, it's what we get to do. It's not much. You study, you learn, you decide, and then you get off your ass and vote. It's not complicated. The idea of not doing it because you just don't like the choices does not mean a choice doesn't get made.

I hate very few things in this beautiful world of ours more than apathy, atrophy, and laziness. For those that voted, thank you! For those that cared enough to try and encourage people to vote, thank you. Thank you to all the people that helped us vote today. My hope is tomorrow we get to move forward together. It is so much easier to tear something down than build it up. It seems even tougher to believe.

No comments: