Friday, August 2, 2013

Lunch Musing

When I was a kid, I remember school lunches were a big deal. What you brought was very important, not only to eat but for some reason having a Capri Sun made you cooler than the kid with the juice box or worse, the school milk. I remember my mom would throw together some creative offerings pretty regularly. I think I ate a Chili-Rice-Cheese dish everyday for fourth grade. I also recall my mom straight up putting an intervention style end to my affinity for apple fruit roll-ups.

What I don't remember was ever just having a PB&J. That lunch did not take root till my struggling actor days. A loaf of bread, jar of jelly and a jar of peanut butter was all I needed to provide a dozen economic meals. It grew on me and remains a comfort food. It reminds me of the getting by and simplicity.

From mom's meals with notes I prayed the other kids wouldn't see to the PB&J staple, food has some good memories around midday.

No comments: