Tuesday, November 12, 2013

Honesty vs the Marathoner

I went to yoga last night relatively excited to get my body working again. While I acknowledge the overwhelming need for rest, I am physically restless if I am idle for too long. Some maintain that you should do no running for a month after a marathon. I am not even looking into what is suggested for after two consecutive marathons.

The yoga classes I go to generally have some sort of theme like grounding, expansion, etc. Last night, the instructor wanted to focus on balance and being "wobbly." Without Tiff I wasn't too apprehensive as my tipping and tottering would be less embarrassing without the woman I love right next to me.

Class started off well and my legs felt pretty good, but the strength was short lived and the depletion soon came on. I needed to drop out of several poses to avoid flat out becoming flat out. The instructor made the comment that balance poses keep you honest, that there is no faking balance. Her point was immediately clear as true for me. I had to admire the boxy and degree of self bullshitting that as a marathoner I have adopted to a healthy extent. There is a blatant denial of several facts needed to embark on running for hours and several miles. You have to have a certain swagger towards it being possible, regardless of facts at times.

Yoga made me take honest stock of what my legs have available and with some frustration, I am accepting I need to rest up. It's needed and more importantly, to run depleted legs for too long, serious injury is possible. I'd rather be on the couch or bike by choice, that's for certain.

Not sure I can do that for a month, but here's to a rest period.

No comments: