Wednesday, November 27, 2013

Sour Cream Apple Tradition

A long time ago, in a tiny studio apartment in Chicago I stumbled upon a recipe for a Sour Cream Apple Pie. At that point my friends were still compiling a Thanksgiving feast almost pot luck style, but with a tad more organization. Having never enjoyed pumpkin or pecan pies, I decided to give this a crack. So as to not tempt disaster, I made one a few weeks in advance to see if it was any good. I am of the school that anything baked is best right out of the oven. This pie was horrible right out of the oven.

Thoroughly bummed that I would then need to eat the rest of this pie myself (studio and little money for food), I tucked it in the fridge to endure it the next day. Having a left over burger from work or pie to chose from, I opted to try the pie again. Turns out it was best chilled overnight and for the record, that was not in the recipe. It was good. I made it for my friends and it was a hit. I made it each year we got together as my regular offering.

I have made it now for my family, my in-laws, and several friends. I may be the pie's greatest fan, but it always is well received. Having made it several years, it has become pretty easy too. What I love most about making it is the connection to all those Thanksgivings and so many great times with family and friends. Tonight I made it again, this time for my wife and my parents.

From that tiny studio to now, I am very grateful for all those loved ones I have made this silly pie for.

No comments: