Monday, November 11, 2013

Veteran's Day

It's Veteran's Day today. I love that there is a day dedicated to the men and women that have offered and sacrificed so much. It seems a bit ludicrous to me that it's just a day, but such is the case for Mother's, Father's, and the like. It's a national offering.

Personally, I am very proud of my Dad as a veteran. I am also quite proud of my Father-in-law too, but more acquainted with my Dad's story. He served in the sixties during Vietnam. My Dad enlisted voluntarily and was ready to serve when it was time for him to do so. While many around him were in college to avoid going over, he was preparing himself for it.

I admire his resolve to something bigger than him at that point. Personally, I was far from being able to make such a choice at that point in my life.  I respect my Dad and all the men and women who have followed the same path. Their sacrifice and bravery, regardless of the where and why of it, continues to be a source of deep respect for me. They do what they do, without question, and we get to live more comfortably because of it. Men and women, like my father, are always out there for us.

Today we say thank you, officially. It is my hope that every veteran and person in uniform does not need to wait for November 11th to feel the gratitude deserved.

No comments: