Wednesday, October 16, 2013

Taper Jitters

The tried and true method of marathon training mandates a taper period before the big day. It is usually about 3 week prior and running is slashed to a minimum. Hell, some even say if you've been fighting an injury or a bug, don't run at all those last weeks. What is usually discovered (and rediscovered) the hard way, is that there is a ton of emotional stuff that lets loose when the endorphins subside after months. You are a junkie in withdrawals and get to just face it. On the upside, instead of running, the highest priority is rest and food. While your nerves and emotions may be running wild like a kid in candy land, you at least get to munch and nap.

One of my reoccurring and subtle foes in the taper is a strange need to get more gear. That is truly stupid since it is also a pretty dumb idea to introduce anything new now. All that flashy gear at bargain prices at the expo? Not for the race you are about to run! What's funny about this particular impulse is that I have all the gear I need and it usually takes me a few days to spot the fear underneath the, "I NEED THAT OR I WILL FAIL ON MARATHON DAY." I still ascribe highly to the Want Less, Do More philosophy and with running, I have already discovered how much unneeded gear stacks up. I have trimmed back and like my utilitarian supply. My dad also enjoys the benefits of my purging and rocks out former shoes (great for wringing, but not racing) and many old tech shirts.

Even though I have been blessed to get this chance to run a marathon a few times, each time it feels new right about now.  Despite the feeling though, I am glad to have the experience to draw on and realize that,  no, I don't need new sleeves or socks to run 26.2 miles this Sunday. I just need to turn the light off and go to bed.

No comments: