Tuesday, June 11, 2013

Vega Thinking



I have made some mention of our gradual progression towards what once seemed an extreme dietary choice. Vegan. One definition of vegan is: 

"A vegan (pronounced VEE-gun) is someone who, for various reasons, chooses to avoid using or consuming animal products. While vegetarians choose not to use flesh foods, vegans also avoid dairy and eggs, as well as fur, leather, wool, down, and cosmetics or chemical products tested on animals.
why VEGAN? Veganism, the natural extension of vegetarianism, is an integral component of a cruelty-free lifestyle. Living vegan provides numerous benefits to animals’ lives, to the environment, and to our own health–through a healthy diet and lifestyle."

I never could fathom making that switch till recently. While not wholly on board yet, I am finding it easier and easier to see making the choice. That's all it is. A choice. As of late we have been making that choice more regularly, swapping ingredients and otherwise finding entire new recipes. It has not been nearly the grueling, constant-depravation diet I imagined. In fact it's been quite easy.

For example, I love me some waffles. The fact has been reinforce by having burned out 2 waffle makers of high quality through sheer volume. My go to receipt calls for eggs and milk. We have adopted almond milk as our house staple and I can substitute flax seed, apple sauce or even greek yogurt for the eggs (and oil) and get kick ass waffles no problem!  With the addition of Flora Oil, butter isn't even needed to have the same flavor (plus a huge boost the good for you Omega-3 fats).

The other proof is in the field test. My energy levels have been steadily rising. The marathon training was tougher than I ever tried and I never felt starved. I never have indigestion and have stopped using antacids altogether. Overall, the diet changes are extremely positive.

I dig the vegan thing. For my birthday a few days ago we had vegan "Chic-Fil-A", kimchi tortilla chips, and home made "Holy Guacamole." Dessert was a vegan blueberry, lemon vanilla cake. Everything tasted outstanding and not only did my conscience feel good, my belly was so happy.

No comments: