Sunday, January 27, 2013

A Runner's Church

Now in week 2 of marathon training, the Sunday long run is feeling a tad less novel. I was a little less excited to get going this time, but with an unseasonal rain last night, the air was damp and clean and just begged for some miles. I set out without much feet dragging and gratefully not an an unholy hour. It soon felt exhilarating to be out there and just running. I equate long runs to cross country road trips. You soon settle in and stop thinking as much about the end of the trip. It's times like that when I find myself reflecting a little more on an elevated level. It brings a closeness for me to powers much beyond myself and there I start to feel a peace I usually have to work much harder to get. In that respect, it feels much like my church to be out there plodding the miles. Just 7 more days till the next service. I can't wait.

No comments: