Tuesday, January 8, 2013

Cubs Fan

When I moved to Chicago in 2000, I adopted the Cubs as a my new home team to cheer for. It made sense as I lived on the North side and have only lived in National League towns. Plus there was Wrigley Field in all its historic glory. I was quite happy cheering the lovable losers. I was even outside the ivory clad walls the night Bartman went down in goat filled infamy. Even that debacle could not sour my love of the Cubs and their, "always next year."

It wasn't until I moved three blocks from Wrigley that I started to disdain the red and blue. It wasn't even the team that did it. It was the obnoxious fans. At games and especially outside the ballpark, they were the most unruly and disrespectful group one could amass. The masses clad in blue and red seemed to get more rude, more obnoxious, and more out of control every year. I used to love going to the games and see a dad there with his kid and imagine how that had happened for generations in those very seats. Anymore it was like a frat house without class the next day.

I was done and in rebellion, turned in my "C" for a "SOX" on my hat. I rooted for the South Siders and jeered the "losers" often.

Now a couple years removed from my Windy City home, I am finding a nostalgic desire to return my fan dome back the Cubbies. I will not go to Coors Field when they play here (the Chicago fans are mostly embarrassing), but I do find myself want ing to cheer them on again this year. I was a fan long enough to believe in the next year idea. Besides, I would rather be cheering for them when it happens than bandwagon it in September.

Plus, barring a miracle, my Chicago and Denver loyalties will yet again not be put too much to the test.

No comments: