Tuesday, January 25, 2011

Built to Last

It's tough sometimes to not get caught up in the thrill of new gadgets. With so many techno advances there is a flaw in our grandparents save it till it falls apart philosophy. That being said, when a device comes along that plugs in and does not become obsolete within 2 years, it's kinda gratifying. The inspiration for this line of thought came when I realized how long I have had my coffee maker.


This giver of joe came to me when I started at Starbucks just out of college in 1999. A customer had knocked it off the shelf and consequently cracked the top corner off. Pure aesthetics. It was their first carafe design and they mysteriously abandoned it within 2 years. It has been well cared for and cleaned often and has never failed to provide a tasty cup of coffee every morning. I was so enamored with it when I first got it that I managed to get 3 more to fellow java junkies. All 4 are still in commission 12 years later. It amuses me to see design after design appear and disappear from Starbucks shelves since then. None seem to work quite right.

It feels good when you stumble on something built to last, despite its sellers intent to have you replace it quickly.




iPhone

1 comment:

mommasitta said...

Thank you from 1 of the 4. I love my Joe brewer today as much as the Christmas day I opened it from you! Good is good! Thank you!