Sunday, January 30, 2011

Facebook

I am not embarrassed to say I remember when email was new. It was fantastic to get to talk with friends that were not close and (also a sign of the times) avoid long distance charges. Years later I got a request to be a friend's friend on Myspace.
Curious I signed up. Like many I was instantly drawn in by the lure of changing my photos, music and general social appearance. It was fun. Then I was asked by another friend some time later to be their friend on Facebook. Already content I signed up figguring it would be a silly side outlet. Then I found out I could "throw" all manner of items at my friends their, my favorite being a sheep, and was hooked on the ridiculous new outlet. It soon became the only one I checked

Now I am glad I had already met Tiffany by the time I started Facebook and got more interested in finding "friends" online. It seems like that site is hell for those dating, constantly checking status updates. However, it has become so widely used, it is not much of a private meeting place for my friends anymore. No, it's like having a party where EVERYONE I know is invited at all times. I have to ensure I am not disclosing information I would not want absolutely everyone to hear. That's a challenge sometimes, but it also keeps me pretty honest. Especially as I am endeavoring to keep writing everyday on Stupie and have it post via note on Facebook.


To me, Facebook is still fun. I am stunned when some friends I know use it as the sole means of comunicating. It is a supliment to me in our friendships, not the lifeline. I am still far more inclined to grab the phone and call someone to say hello than rely on my "poke" to reach them. It's easier to me and more personal. Hell, I don't even have long distance to deal with now!

No comments: